Silverback Logo
Follow stssupport on Twitter
Silverback Technology Solutions

Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and iWeb '09!?

06/12/2010 Share/Bookmark

I had a very long day yesterday! This was down to the fact that I've been reading up a little on SEO techniques for my website.


My main website was originally built using iWeb '09, part of the iLife suite, however, the first two items, in the SEO articles I'm reading, advised me to change the page titles and insert keyword meta-tags.


Unfortunately, although I think iWeb is a very easy website creation tool, you can not change these settings within it, or changing those settings cause other design elements to be modified, which I didn't want! So I was stuck on these first steps. This was very frustrating and I hope Apple sort this out one day when they eventually update iWeb, which they did not do for iLife 11!? 


I had to find something that would work, so I started to look for an iWeb replacement, and I think I've found it.


I did some searches and from the info I found I decided to try Freeway Express by Softpress. I downloaded the free trial and had a play by seeing how easy it was to create my current iWeb design from scratch.  I was impressed and it worked very similarly to iWeb, but the big plus point, is that it is more flexible and the end user has more control on how certain items work, like Navigation Bars, page layout etc.


One of the first things I obviously tried was to add meta-tags for keywords and the page description and found this task to be very straightforward. Titles can also be changed with no effect on the Navigation bar, as you have full control over these elements. The rest was simple drag and drop WYSIWYG web design just like iWeb.


I therefore spent all of yesterday rebuilding my website in Freeway. This task was a bit of a pain but needed to be done and I can now continue to implement the SEO changes to my website.


As a final comment, if you are building websites on OSX and require a little more flexibility in design and back end configuration, please look at your options before you start. This in the long run will save you a lot of time and effort! As I found out yesterday! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Software developer working on iPhone Apps and Games in spare time. Full time job is working with a corporate IT company supporting and developing various software installations.

© Silverback Technology Solutions